When it comes to overall health, turmeric is one of the most well-known natural remedies. Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric that gives its strong anti-inflammatory effect.
Studies have shown that curcumin can ease the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis such as pain and inflammation.
Other laboratory tests have shown that turmeric can block the growth of certain cancer types. In one study, turmeric extract containing curcumin was capable of stabilizing colorectal cancer.
Other studies show that it has the potential to prevent many forms of skin disease, high cholesterol levels, stomach ulcers, colitis, Alzheimer’s disease, and many more. Most of its benefits are attributed to its ability to neutralize free radicals and stimulate body’s antioxidant enzymes, which in turn helps prevent free radical damage.
Turmeric is a common ingredient in South Asian cuisine and is being used to enhance flavors. Although turmeric is typically added to food, there are many other ways to reap its benefits without having to eat it with food. The tasty turmeric smoothie is one of those ways!
While turmeric is the key ingredient of this smoothie, mostly due to its wide array of health benefits, there are many other healthy and nutritious ingredients included, making this smoothie of the healthiest and the best immune-boosting recipes out there.
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 cup of coconut milk – Rich in fiber and vitamin C, E, and B vitamins
- 1/2 cup of pineapple or mango – Good source of vitamin C which provides protection against immune system deficiencies and various diseases
- 1 fresh banana – Good source of potassium which helps maintain fluid balance and keeps your brain, nerves, heart, and muscles functioning
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon – Effective at reducing blood sugar levels in people with diabetes
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger – Reduces menstrual cramps, pain caused by arthritis, and also effective at reducing nausea and dizziness
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds – Good source of fiber, protein, calcium, antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids
- 1 teaspoon of maca powder – Commonly used to treat anemia, chronic fatigue and to boost energy levels
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper for optimal nutrient absorption of the turmeric’s healing properties
Check out the video below for a step-by-step guide on how to prepare this super-healthy smoothie: